Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Week Seven - Thing # 16

Wikipedia was my first experience with wikis and I have to admit that I did not consider them a reliable library resource because of their capability to be edited by anyone. Next Shonda Brisco wrote about her experience in using one with her students. I didn't really understand the usefulness of what she was doing. Tonight this lesson "turned on the light bulb" on the value of wikis. This is a tool I will suggest for the history teachers because many of their projects lend themselves to a wiki format. Language Art teachers will also benefit from using wikis. Password protecting the site will prevent some of the problems wikis have with vandalism and will hold students accountable. It will also be useful with my bookclub. This year I plan to meet on a monthly basis but the wiki will keep us in touch as we read. We can share comments on books but it will also be a site for announcements. It should be an interesting year. Library 2.0, here I come!

1 comment:

ESC1 said...

I use Wikipedia all the time, especially when searching for information on technlogy-related topics.