Friday, July 25, 2008

Week Four - Thing #8

Although I haven't posted in a while, I have been discovering RSS feed readers and learning about the difference between Bloglines and Google Reader. I am now connected through Blogline to an online resource for keeping up with what is going on with the world without having to go to each individual source. The time devoured by moving from blog to blog was the main reason that I quit reading blogs after library school. I kept them in "Favorites" but I seldom visited the sites. Now I can scan through the new posts and read what I find interesting all in one place. I will share this valuable tool with teachers when school starts in the fall. Even the administrators could use this time saver.

As part of my learning process, I set up accounts in both Google Reader and Bloglines. For the first time in my experience, something was better than Google. I preferred Bloglines over Google Reader. Bloglines was more user-friendly in my opinion. This was a surprise to me because I use Google documents and Google calendar as well as Gmail. Bloglines was easier to set up with my personal preferences. It was visually easier for me to follow when I was setting my page up; however, in all fairness, Google Reader has the convenience of not having to login if I am already checking my e-mail. I will eventually have to decide which I want to keep because I don't need two. Since I am in the process of deciding between the two and learning about this new-to-me tool, I am opting not to share the URL of either site

3 comments:

Off the Shelf Librarian said...

I find your analisis of these blogs intriguing and interesting. So I went to your other blog to see what you were talking about. I saw "engaging learners using 21st century skills" and wondered about the statement so I googled it and found out that this project is engaging learners using 21st century skills. Cool, I have heard of it but didn't know much about 21st century skills. Now I understand.. Thanks!

ESC1 said...

I've been using Google Reader because I use Gmail for the workshop and it is easier for me to log in once. I use Bloglines occasionally.

Off the Shelf Librarian said...

I started realizing that is the best way. We sign in to a lot of sites and keeping up with thes is adding up.I am trying to keep a file of where I go and sign in.