Thursday, July 10, 2008

Week Three - Thing # 7

It is no secret in my family that I like to play video games. Zelda and Mario games are two of my favorites. Both require solving problems and mysteries. Since mysteries are my favorite genre I see a connection between the two. The game units have evolved along with the games themselves so that now I can play online with my grandchildren with my Wii. I can also check the news and the weather.
While working on my assignment for this week, I explored Infodoodads and discovered a site called Scratch where you can make your own video games. I played a game called "Super Mario Galaxy Four." Here is the link: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Dolfus555/162167 if you want to play. Scratch could be used in classroom and I plan to share it with teachers but I also plan to share it with my grandchildren. 23 Things has been a sharing experience with my family all along. My oldest granddaughter started her own blog after I started mine for this class. We have shared our experiences as we have learned.
Ironically, many of the sites we are studying for this class are blocked at my school. I cannot access any of the blogs we are working on much less YouTube. There has to be a balance between protecting students and giving them access to the positive part of the WWW.

2 comments:

ESC1 said...

Scratch was a popular topic at NECC this year. The possibilities for application in instructional settings are endless.

It is wonderful that you can share your experiences with your grandchildren. I hope all of you keep blogging after the workshop is over.

LibraryChica said...

Thanks for your interest in our Anime Club. We meet every other Wednesday in the library. At this point we watch some videos, discuss future projects and play Anime Bingo.